If you suspect that a transaction on your Bank account was not made by you, you should immediately report it to the bank. This is important to prevent further unauthorized transactions and to ensure the security of your account. You can report such transactions by following these steps:
- Call the 24-hour Customer Care center.
- Report the unauthorized transaction and provide details about the transaction such as date, time, amount, and merchant name (if available).
- The bank will then investigate the transaction and take necessary steps to secure your account and resolve the issue.
It’s important to take prompt action in such cases to ensure that your funds are protected.
Reporting to nearest police station
f you suspect that a transaction on your bank account was not made by you and you have already reported it to the bank, you can also file a complaint with the police. This can provide additional protection and help in the investigation of the unauthorized transaction. Here’s what you can do:
- Go to the nearest police station and file a complaint.
- Provide the police with details of the unauthorized transaction, including date, time, amount, and merchant name (if available).
- Give a copy of the complaint to the bank, if asked for.
- The police will then investigate the matter and take necessary action.
Note that filing a complaint with the police does not guarantee that the stolen funds will be recovered, but it is an important step in protecting your rights and helping the authorities to take appropriate action against the person responsible for the unauthorized transaction.
How soon should I report a suspicious transaction?
According to the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) guidelines, you have to report unauthorized transactions within a maximum of 3 working days from the date of transaction, to be eligible for a refund.
If you report the issue beyond the 3 working days timeframe, the bank may not be able to refund the entire amount, but they will still take appropriate action to secure your account and resolve the issue.
Here is a list of some of the major banks in India along with their 24-hour customer care numbers:
- State Bank of India (SBI): 1800-11-2211 or 1800-425-3800
- HDFC Bank: 1800-120-3333 or 1800-22-4060
- ICICI Bank: 1800-120-3355
- Axis Bank: 1800-419-5959 or 1800-103-5577
- Kotak Mahindra Bank: 1860-266-2666 or 1800-102-6022
- Punjab National Bank (PNB): 1800-180-2222 or 1800-103-2222
- Bank of Baroda (BOB): 1800-102-4455
- Union Bank of India: 1800-208-2244
- Canara Bank: 1800-425-0018
- Bank of India (BOI): 1800-103-1906
Note: The numbers may vary depending on the location and type of service required. It’s always a good idea to double-check the customer care number from the official website of the bank before calling.