This post is a part of a series related to Parental controls for devices. Parental controls for android devices can be applied using the Family Link app – a free app provided by Google Inc.
You need to install two versions of this app:
Since Android phones don’t allow you to create multiple user profiles on the device, you will need two devices. One for the parent with the parent version and the other for the child to host the child version of the apps respectively.
If you have an Android tablet, you may create a parent profile and a child profile on the tab and install the two versions of the app on each profile respectively. To create a new user on your tab, see the create new user on Android tab post for more details
Pre-requisites: You will need to create a Gmail account for your child.
- Install the Google Family Link app for parents on your device.
- Install the Google Family Link app for children and teenagers on your child’s device
- On the parent device, tap on add child option and follow the instructions
- Remove YouTube if your kids are under 13 and install YouTube kids
- You may remove apps that you dont want your kids to access without your consent. e.g. you may disable camera, messaging apps etc.