Manage app permissions to protect your data privacy. Apps need access to permissions such as your Location, Camera, Microphone etc. to provide the intended services. e.g. your cab hailing app needs access to your location, your chat apps require access to microphone and camera.
While permissions are required by the app to perform the intended task, some of the apps may misuse these permissions and steal your information or use them to monitor your actions. Have you ever noticed talking about a trip to your favorite destination and then see ads selling holiday packages to that destination?
The average smart phone user has 80+ apps on their smart phone. Google has identified 10 permissions such as access to camera, microphone, contacts, location etc. as sensitive permissions. It can be a cumbersome task to manage permissions manually.
Use the InfoSecyour Mobile security and Online privacy app to manage app permissions in 3 simple steps.
- Identify apps that pose higher risk based on permissions requested. The App Permissions Risk review feature which categorizes apps in to high/medium/low risk based on the permissions or combination of permissions that an app needs.
- Identify apps that need to be reviewed. The InfoSecyour app shows you apps for which the permissions are already granted so that you can review them, thereby saving your effort.
- Select the permission that you would like to modify
Identify apps with risky app permissions
Select the app for which you want to review the permissions.
- Tap on apps that with a red hazard sign to review them
- Apps with a green check mark are either marked as reviewed by you or are the ones for which permissions are not granted yet, so no action required on these
Control app permissions for specific apps
You may edit permissions by clicking on the switch button. This will open the App info screen which is an android feature.
Permissions android settings
Tip: Tap on the App permissions option. Set permission to Allow only while app is in use wherever possible.